Society staff at the Nova Scotia Barristers’ Library support the regulatory role of the Society by providing information, knowledge and collections management services to staff and contribute to the competency of lawyers by providing basic services and timely access to current Canadian legal information.
All Barristers’ Society members – with a focus on practising lawyers and articled clerks – may contact the Barristers' Library for assistance with the following:
- identifying relevant materials to help answer an information need;
- troubleshooting difficulties with online information sources;
- determining if material in the Halifax Barristers’ Library is available for loan;
- borrowing circulating materials;
- accessing materials from another library through interlibrary loan;
- carrying out a legislative history; and
- obtaining a copy of a case, statute or article not directly available to the lawyer.
Library staff do not perform in-depth research for lawyers. Contact us for a current list of researchers who provide legal research services.
Library staff curate web collections, including ebook collections available to Society members via the online Lawyers’ Reading Room, full-text articles available via the Barristers’ Library Discovery Catalogue, and a wide variety of resources compiled in the Equity Portal.
These online resources licensed for lawyer use are available on the library user computers at the Barristers’ Library in Halifax; the Kings County Barristers’ Library in Kentville; and the Simon J. Khattar Memorial Barristers’ Library in Sydney:
- Seven divisions of O’Brien’s Online (forms and precedents)
- LawSource, FamilySource, CriminalSource and Estates&TrustsSource in WestlawNext Canada
- HeinOnline (U.S. and Canadian journals, U.S. primary law and case law links)
Follow the links for more information on Barristers’ Library services and fees, locations and hours, tips on keeping current, and links to Barristers’ Library Discovery Catalogue, Civil Procedure Rules and related material, case law, legislation, quantum tables and legal citation guides.
See Legal resource information for listings of organizations, services, resource guides and websites that can assist members of the public with legal information needs.